ART AND ANTIQUE DEALERS LEAGUE OF AMERICA
A La Vieille Russie, Inc.
781 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10022
A La Vieille Russie, a family enterprise since its founding in Kiev in 1851, left the turmoil of the Revolution and was re-established in Paris around 1920 by Jacques Zolotnitsky, the grandson of the founder. The New York branch was opened in 1941 by the late Alexander Schaffer. Still a multigenerational family business, under the direction of brothers, Messrs. Paul and Peter L. Schaffer, and Paul’s son, Dr. Mark Schaffer, A La Vieille Russie continues the tradition of dealing in fine art and antiques, and is known worldwide for its collection of Russian treasures. Goldsmith and jeweler Carl Fabergé was a client, and we are recognized today as international experts on his works. We specialize in European and American antique jewelry, 18th-century European gold snuff boxes, and antique Russian fine and decorative art, including silver, enamel, and porcelain, paintings, icons, and furniture. We have been at our present location on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 59th Street since 1961, opposite Central Park. We maintain a strong exhibition schedule, both as exhibitors and lenders. For example, we exhibit annually at TEFAF Maastricht in the Netherlands, New York’s Winter Antiques Show, Masterpiece London, and the New York International Fine Art and Antique Dealers Show.
Arnold H. Lieberman Fine Arts
825 Early Street, Suites A & B, Santa Fe, NM 87505
Hindu and Buddhist arts of the 2nd c. BCE–19th c. A.D.; emphasis on India, Nepal and Tibet. Since its inception it has been a leading venue for museum quality works of art. The gallery has among its clients the Metropolitan Museum, Los Angeles County Museum, Singapore Art Museum, Berlin Museum fur Indische Kunst, Her Majesty’s Armory in The Tower Of London, Yale University Art Museum, as well as other renowned institutions and private collections around the globe. In addition to fine art the gallery also specializes in decorative art and playful objects of curiosity.
209 East 72nd Street, New York, New York, 10021
Blumka Gallery is a fourth generation firm specializing in Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque works of art including ivory, enamel, furniture, ceramics, metalwork, paintings, and sculpture in stone, wood and terracotta. Since 1938 the gallery has had several locations in Manhattan, and now rests on East 72nd Street. Over the years Blumka Gallery has been responsible, through both sales and donations, for the development and enrichment of public and private collections in America and Europe. The Blumkas played a prominent role in enhancing the Bondy, Brummer, Linsky and Untermeyer collections, as well as those of public institutions such as The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Cleveland Museum of Art; The Detroit Institute of Arts; The Frick Collection; The J.Paul Getty Museum; and The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Bayerisches Nationalmuseum, Munich; The Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, and the Louvre, to name a few. Blumka Gallery participates in world-class fairs such as The European Fine Art Fair each spring in Maastricht, the Biennale des Antiquaires in Paris, and most recently, the Munich Highlights. In addition, Blumka Gallery mounts a biennial exhibition of recent acquisitions, “Collecting Treasures of the Past,” in conjunction with Julius Böhler Kunsthandlung of Starnberg, Germany, a firm in its fifth generation of operation. The long tradition of both firms in the international art market and their combined expertise allows for exhibitions of the highest possible quality. Tony Blumka is a Past President and Honorary Member of the Art and Antique Dealers League of America, and is on the Board of Directors of the National Antique and Art Dealers Association of America. He is a member in good standing of the Syndicat Nationale des Antiquaires, and Confédération Internationale des Négociants en Œvres d’Art.
Brad and Vandy Reh Fine Jewelry
125 Elm Street, New Canaan, Connecticut 06840
Fine Vintage, Estate, and Modern Jewelry.
Camilla Dietz Bergeron
818 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10065
Camilla Dietz Bergeron ltd, is a New York-based estate jewelry firm founded in 1987. Camilla and her business partner, Gus Davis, have spent the past 26 years building a niche business that buys and sells antique, period and estate jewelry. From the soothing atmosphere of our elegantly decorated Madison Avenue salon, we offer both long-time and new clients the kind of personal attention and time needed to look through the extensive collection of one-of-a- kind pieces.
Carlton Hobbs, LLC
60 East 93rd Street,, New York, New York, 10128
Carlton Hobbs specializes in the acquisition, conservation, and research of 17th, 18th and 19th century British and Continental furniture and works of art, with a focus on pieces of exceptional merit, including specially commissioned items with royal or aristocratic provenance and pieces designed by architects. Mr. Hobbs is a globally respected dealer with over forty years experience in antiques who is well-known for his academic approach to the acquisition of historically significant pieces. Now headquartered in New York, he runs his gallery, Carlton Hobbs LLC, together with his longtime business partner, Stefanie Rinza, a graduate of Harvard Business School and former employee of McKinsey and Co., in London. Recognizing the importance of provenance, maker and artistic content, the company created a research department that has since developed into what is now one of the most comprehensive specialist antiques archives of several thousand books and source materials. Mr. Hobbs publishes the company’s research in a series of scholarly catalogues and descriptions to share his findings with a broad academic community and to demonstrate the extent to which Carlton Hobbs researches provenance, maker and artistic content for each piece in his gallery’s collection. Carlton Hobbs LLC sells to a discreet customer base, concentrating on major private and institutional collectors. Some of the world’s most prestigious museums and private collections now house Carlton Hobbs’ pieces including: The Musée du Louvre The John Paul Getty Museum The Rijksmuseum The Metropolitan Museum of Art The National Gallery of Australia The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts The Boston Museum of Fine Arts The Musée des Beaux Arts, Dijon The Bowes Museum Paxton House The National Gallery of Greece Department of Art and Archaeology, Princeton University
Clinton Howell Antiques
30 East 95th Street, Apt. 5B, New York, NY 10028
English antique furniture is more than a sum of its parts, but the parts are often varied and different so that the whole seems disconcertingly complex. There is a logic, of sorts, to English furniture, but there are also delightful eccentricities. I revel in them and will, for example, buy a great country piece as readily as a great high style piece, despite the obvious differences in decorative appeal. It is great furniture that appeals to me—it has to be special. I have been in this business in one form or another for thirty-nine years and there has never been a moment when I have wanted to do something else. Please browse, ask questions and, best of all, come and visit. I guarantee that you will find great beauty herein.
Dalva Brothers, Inc.
53 East 77th Street, New York, New York, 10075
Dalva Brothers was founded in 1933 by Leon Dalva Sr. and his brothers. He and his wife Jean ran the gallery until they were joined by their sons David II and Leon Jr. The founder’s grandsons, David III, and most recently Adam are the third generation of Dalvas to work here. We have recently moved to a six story historic townhouse at 53 East 77th Street after over 60 years on East 57th Street. Dalva Brothers has one of the finest and largest inventories of 18th century continental decorative arts in the world, including furniture, porcelain, clocks, and sculpture, displayed in period paneled rooms. We have sold pieces to interior decorators, collectors, dealers, and museums, including the J. Paul Getty Museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the Louvre. Our collection ranges from masterpieces with royal provenance to beautiful but more accessible pieces that reflect the amazing craftsmanship and design skills of eighteenth century Europe.
Earle D. Vandekar of Knightsbridge, Inc
Post Office Box 586, Downington, Pennsylvania 19355, USA
Earle D Vandekar of Knightsbridge is a fourth generation family business, currently owned and run by Paul Vandekar. Although historically known for their antique ceramics, in recent years the business has developed strengths in additional disciplines. Thus, in addition to Chinese Export, English and European antique porcelain and pottery, it now holds one of the most extensive collections of 19th-century British sailors’ woolworks (known as woolies) in the world and features other specialized antique textiles. Paul has have also expanded the company to offer a selection of Chinese watercolours and also antique engravings, as well as period decorative art, such as portrait miniatures. Paul’s mission is to offer clients pieces which reflect his passion and the keen eye he has developed for antiques whilst delighting collectors and designers, as well as museum curators, for the last thirty-five years. The Vandekar family has been in the antiques business for over 120 years. Their legacy began in the 19th century when Paul’s great-grandfather opened his shop in Amsterdam, and subsequent generations of Vandekars - Joseph, Earle and Paul - have set up shop in London, Los Angeles, and now, New York. Paul’s father, Earle, was at the helm of the business for more than 40 years at their location on the Brompton Road in London. Under his proprietorship the gallery became respected world-wide for its selection of antique porcelain & pottery. The business currently exhibits at many of the best antique shows in the United States and sell directly from its web site.
Hyde Park Antiques, Ltd
836 Broadway,, New York, New York, 10003
Founded in 1965, Hyde Park Antiques Ltd specializes in the finest 18th and early 19th century English furniture. The gallery offers both the experienced collector and the interested novice the opportunity to view the most extensive inventory in North America. Dealing exclusively in period antiques, there is an emphasis on the Georgian and Regency periods. Our large collection spans the most interesting eras in British design: from early walnut furniture, with its emphasis on burled wood, through the Age of Mahogany, with its bold carving, to the Regency period, during which exotic woods were introduced and gilt metal mounts created some of the most glamorous furniture. To complement the furniture, Hyde Park also offers a wide selection of Chinese export porcelain and English ceramics, as well as a varied collection of paintings including sporting and marine art, landscapes and still-lifes.
James Robinson, Inc.
480 Park Avenue, New York, NY, 10022
In 1912, James Robinson founded the firm bearing his name at 402 Madison Avenue in New York City where he specialized in Antique Silver and Antique Chinese Porcelains. After the First World War, he relocated to 721 Fifth Avenue at 57th Street and the firm remained in a one block radius of that site at 716 Fifth Avenue, 12 East 57th Street, and 15 East 57th Street until 1994 when it moved to its current location at 480 Park Avenue at 58th Street. When James Robinson died in 1936, his brother-in-law, Edward Munves, succeeded him and was head of the firm until his death in 1983. Under his direction, the importance of Antique Silver was strengthened and a more significant emphasis was placed on English and French Porcelains and Glass. Edward Munves, Jr. joined the firm in 1952 and over the next decade jewelry was added to the inventory of top quality antique decorative arts. In addition, the firm expanded their unique collection of modern hand-made sterling silver. Carrying on the family tradition, Joan Boening joined her grandfather and father in 1979 and has been instrumental in elevating the Antique Jewelry collection to international prominence. She is now the president of James Robinson, Inc. Today, the firm is best known for its outstanding Antique Jewelry of the 19th Century and Art Deco Jewelry of the 20th Century; Antique Silver of the 16th through 18th Centuries; Antique Porcelain services from England and the Continent; and Antique Table Glass. Also of note are the unique Handmade Sterling Silver reproductions in flatware, tea and coffee sets, candlesticks and trays which the firm produces today in the same manner in which they were crafted in the 18th Century. In every speciality, the main criteria in selecting objects are authenticity, workmanship, artistry, and condition, qualities evident in each article.
Post Office Box 1000, Cocoa, FL. 32923
With over 40 years of experience and a record of integrity and fair treatment in the purchase and sale of American historical autographs, we can help serious collectors. Our customers include a number of major private collectors and most of the collecting institutions involved in our field. We maintain a stock of high quality manuscript material. We have issued more than 150 detailed catalogs well known for their accuracy.
Julius Lowy Frame & Restoring Co., Inc.
232 East 59th Street, 4th floor, NY, NY 10022
American and European Antique and Reproduction Frames; Conservation of Paintings and Works of Art on Paper. Founded in 1907 by Julius Lowy, Julius Lowy Frame and Restoring Company is recognized as the country's leading fine art services firm, offering fine art conservation and restoration services, an extensive collection of antique frames, reproductions and modern frames. Comprised of over 4,000 frames ranging from extremely rare 16th century Renaissance through 20th century Arts & Crafts models, Lowy's antique frame collection is the largest in America and one of the top in the world.
Lillian Nassau LLC
220 East 57th Street, New York, New York, 10022
Lillian Nassau LLC, world-renown specialists in Tiffany Studios lamps, Tiffany Studios favrile glass, Tiffany Studios favrile pottery, Tiffany Studios mosaics, Tiffany Studios windows, Tiffany Studios desk pieces and Louis C. Tiffany paintings celebrates over 65 years in the business. Acquired in October, 2006, by long-time Managing Director, Arlie Sulka, Lillian Nassau LLC continues to dominate the field with its expertise and scholarship in Tiffany Studios, advising the most prestigious museums and collectors world-wide. Under the direction of Arlie Sulka, the gallery has mounted numerous groundbreaking exhibitions and published two definitive books on Tiffany favrile glass and pottery by Dr. Martin Eidelberg. Adding to Lillian Nassau's specialization in the work of Tiffany Studios and Louis Comfort Tiffany is Gallery Director Eric Silver's expertise in American sculpture and Art Nouveau decorative arts, other areas for which Lillian Nassau LLC is known. Both Arlie Sulka and Eric Silver have been seen on the PBS Antiques Roadshow and are looking forward to participating in the upcoming 16th season. Lillian Nassau opened her antiques shop in 1945 in New York City on Third Avenue between 54th and 55th streets, specializing in 18th and 19th Century porcelain, glass and objets d'art. In the 1950’s she became increasingly interested in the decorative arts of the Art Nouveau period and was especially fascinated by work of Louis Comfort Tiffany and Tiffany Studios. It wasn’t long until her inventory changed and she became recognized as the premier expert in the work of Louis Comfort Tiffany and Tiffany Studios. Almost single-handedly credited with reviving the interest in the work of Louis C. Tiffany, Mrs. Nassau surrounded herself with trend setting collectors who shared her passion. Among them were Walter Chrysler and Joseph Heil, who gave generously to the Museum of Modern Art, Ed Wormley, the prominent furniture designer, and Edgar Kaufmann, Jr., whose family commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to build their legendary home 'Falling Water.' In retrospect, it is difficult to believe that this now popular era of decorative arts had been forgotten. Since little had been written about this period, Mrs. Nassau compiled a comprehensive research library that contained primary source material and included contemporary magazines, books catalogues and brochures. She shared her library and knowledge with these early collectors and museum curators. As a willing lender to early museum exhibitions, Mrs. Nassau encouraged her clients to do the same. Her association with curators paved the way for two early exhibitions of Art Nouveau and Tiffany, the first held at the Museum of Contemporary Crafts in 1958 and the second, the seminal show at the Museum of Modern Art in 1960. Upholding that tradition, the gallery has continued to loan to museum exhibitions, most recently to 'Tiffany Glass: A Passion for Colour' which opened at the Musée de Luxembourg in Paris, France, traveled to the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts in Montreal, Canada and then closed at the Virginia Museum of Art in Richmond, Virgina. Other recent loans include the Shelburne Museum, New York Historical Society in New York City, the Carnegie Museum of Art, the Dallas Museum of Art, the Toledo Museum of Art, the Seattle Art Museum, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London and the National Gallery in Washington D.C. Mrs. Nassau was the generous donor of the magnificent Tiffany Studios mosaic fountain that is permanently on view in the Sculpture Garden of the American Wing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, and she also presented the Metropolitan with a breathtaking necklace by Rene Lalique. In 1967 the gallery moved to its present location at 220 East 57 Street. Although Mrs. Nassau was approaching the typical age of retirement, she was building momentum as the driving force behind the revival of the works by Tiffany and the decorative arts of the Art Nouveau and Art Deco periods. Celebrity collectors, including members of the Beatles, as well as Led Zeppelin, Catherine Deneuve, Barbra Streisand, Andy Warhol, and other leading pop culture personalities became clients and seized the opportunity to share in Mrs. Nassau's expertise while major museums throughout the United States and Europe steadily made major acquisitions from the gallery. With over thirty years of experience working for Mrs. Nassau and her son, Paul, current owner Arlie Sulka is now considered one of the foremost experts on Louis Comfort Tiffany and Tiffany Studios, maintaining the gallery’s world-renowned status. Ms. Sulka maintains enduring professional relationships with private clients and regularly advises leading museum curators from around the world. Under Ms. Sulka’s guidance, the gallery has mounted a series of landmark exhibitions concentrating on the work of Louis Comfort Tiffany and Tiffany Studios including the lamps, blown glass and mosaics. We are very pleased to commemorate our 65th anniversary, this November, 2010 with a seminal exhibition of Tiffany Favrile Pottery, marking the gallery’s second publication written by Dr. Martin Eidelberg, 'Tiffany Favrile Pottery and the Quest of Beauty.' Copyright © 2006-2011 Lillian Nassau LLC All Rights Reserved
Louis Wine, Ltd.
150 Cumberland Street,, Toronto, Ontario, M5R 1A8
Antique Silver, Antique Jewellery and Decorative Arts
Maria and Peter Warren Antiques
150 Main Street, Monroe, Connecticut, 06468
18th c. English Ceramics. 18th and early 19th country and formal American furniture, and an extensive selection of paintings, prints, rugs and textiles, as well as a wide range of decorative accessories from America, England, and the Continent.
Mary Helen McCoy Fine Antiques
2962 Midland Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee, 38111
Mary Helen McCoy is a woman with a mission – to bring her clients the ultimate in period furniture and decorative arts. Today, her firm is considered one of the nation’s premier sources for fine and unusual, period, 17th-19th century, French furniture and decorative arts with an emphasis on the finest period, 18th century French furniture. The gallery is located in Charleston, South Carolina. A native of Birmingham, Ala., McCoy grew up in an environment rich in culture and the decorative arts. Her mother and grandmother exposed her to European and southern traditions at an early age which nurtured her love of beautiful things. McCoy began her antiques career in 1987 with at Wardemond Galleries in Birmingham as the manager and buyer. She traveled extensively searching for antique furniture and decorative arts in England and in auctions in New York City. In early 1990, she went to France to buy for the first time. The trip was seminal. She fell in love with French antiques and embarked on a path that was to culminate in her becoming one of the foremost dealers in French antiques in the world. McCoy established her own business in late 1990. She began amassing an extensive library as part of her unceasing pursuit of knowledge. More importantly she took on high-end, design jobs which included privately procuring fine antiques and art for select clients. She was retained by her clients to work side by side with architects and landscape designers on several projects to furnish an enormous variety of architectural and garden elements. During the period between 1990 and 1997 she bought and sold privately also bringing into this country wonderful examples of the finest eighteenth century French furnishings. After years trying to prove to the bankers in her community that she was not working as a hobby as many Southern ladies do, she opened her first gallery. As a result of her professionalism in the French marketplace several dealers sponsored her membership into the prestigious Syndicat National des Antiquaires in 2000. Today, Mary Helen McCoy Fine Antiques is one of only 14 firms in the United States that is a member and the only member outside New York. In 2002 the firm joined The Art and Antique Dealers League of America and the Confederation Internationale des Negociants en Oeuvres d’Art. McCoy was asked to become a member of The National Antique & Art Dealers Association of America, Inc. in 2008. Her membership in NAADAA came as a big surprise since many of the firms represented in this organization have been established for a longer period of time. Membership in all these organizations which are reviewed annually to maintain the highest ethical standards, represents the foremost respect a dealer can obtain and McCoy’s hard-earned acceptance into the largely male-dominated world of French antique dealers. Mary Helen McCoy Fine Antiques has exhibited in prominent, national and international fine art and antiques fairs including The International Fine Art and Antique Dealers Show and the Connoisseur's Antiques Fair in New York City, Palm Beach | America’s International Fine Art and Antiques Fair in West Palm Beach, Fla., and the Charleston International Antiques Show in Charleston, S.C. Currently as a member of the board of The Art and Antique Dealers League of America she is actively participating with the launch of The Spring Show NYC at the Park Avenue Armory. The firm has been featured in many national and international publications such as Architectural Digest, Traditional Home, Le Figaro, Connaissance des arts, The New York Times, The Palm Beach Post, Art + Auction, The Magazine Antiques, The Catalog of Antiques & Fine Art, The Antiques Trade Gazette, Maine Antique Digest, Southern Accents, Veranda, Forbes Life, and Charleston Style and Design. Always an active participant in community affairs, Mary Helen McCoy participates with the projects of The Historic Charleston Foundation and The Preservation Society of Charleston. While in Birmingham, she served on many cultural boards which resulted in her selection to The Women’s Committee of 100 for Birmingham. Her favorite projects have always been with The Birmingham Museum of Art from her art classes at six years old to her Presidency of The Members Board. As a former Trustee of the Birmingham Museum of Art she also served on the acquisition committee. From Charleston she remains loyal to the European Arts Circle of that museum.
Philip Colleck, Ltd.
311 East 58th Street, New York, New York, 10022
Established in 1938, Philip Colleck, Ltd. specializes in very fine eighteenth and early nineteenth century English Furniture and works of art. We are located in midtown Manhattan in a pre-Civil War Landmark brick house at 311 East 58th Street, just east of Second Avenue. Two floors of exhibition space display our collection of William & Mary, Queen Anne, Georgian, Chippendale, Hepplewhite, Sheraton and Regency furniture, with an emphasis on lighting, chinoiserie, mirrors and screens. All of our inventory is carefully selected and guaranteed in writing. We take pride in our stock and are always searching for pieces of exceptional quality with particular attention paid to fine color and patination.
127 East 56th St., New York, NY 10022
310 Avenida de Diego, St. 6B,, San Juan, PR 00909
Gustavo Souto earned his Bachelor’s degree in Arts and Sciences from the University of Pennsylvania. Gustavo has worked in the fields of painting, photography, and jewelry design in both Puerto Rico & New York. His experience extends from all aspects of sales to product research & development. José Souto earned his Doctorate degree in Dentistry from the University of Puerto Rico, and a post-graduate degree from Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City. Jose has focused for many years in the development of his dental practice, never abandoning his interests in World History and the Fine Arts. Initially, the brothers began collaborating in the Latin American Art circles of New York. It is on this rich diverse art scene that both recognize the category of Pre-Columbian Art as an important and legitimate art form. The unique visual experience of their Latin American background and passion for art connected strongly with this often-undervalued art form. Acquiring every important publication on the subject, traveling through major museum collections and educating themselves in the diverse cultural background of the Americas before the European contact galvanized in an impressive collection of Pre-Columbian art. However, they recognized the main purpose of building this collection would be to share this knowledge with the public and create a new generation of collectors and enthusiasts in this category. In 2008 Prehispanico was established to educate professionals in the fields of art, design and education as well as the general public in this category, to position artworks in new and established collections, and to provide consulting services to individuals and institutions. To this day we continue to develop relationships based on the same belief that it is a great responsibility to continue on the steps of great collectors and dealers before us to preserve this great art form for future generations.
R. Kaller-Kimche, Inc.
23 East 74th Street,, New York, New York, 10021
19th, 20th and 21st c. Modern, European and Contemporary Paintings, Sculpture and Drawings.
Rehs Galleries, Inc.
5 East 57th Street, 8th Floor,, New York, New York, 10022
British, European and American Paintings.
Robyn Turner Gallery
M: +1 415-517-0152
Asian Art, specializing in Jade.
Safani Gallery, Inc.
1110 NE 8th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33304
Safani Gallery Inc. was established in 1998. Specializing in museum quality works of art from ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt and the Near East, Safani Gallery Inc. holds a prominent position in the international market for ancient art. Our clients include the Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Boston Museum of Fine Arts, the Detroit Institute of Fine Arts, the Freer Gallery of Art, the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Stuttgart Museum of Art, the Louvre, the J. Paul Getty Museum as well as other prominent public and private collections. We exhibit annually at the Basel Ancient Art Fair, the Winters Antiques Show, and the Brussels Ancient Art Fair. Safani Galley Inc. is member of I.A.A.DA., I.A.A.A.T.A., and the Art and Antique Dealers League of America. Alan Safani has been involved in the ancient art trade his entire life. As a child he frequently visited his father’s gallery and was fascinated by the beauty and history of the objects he handled. After college he got graduate degrees from New York University’s Institute of Fine Arts, majoring in Ancient Near Eastern and Classical art and archaeology with minors in Islamic and Egyptian art. Alan Safani is a recognized expert in the authenticity and value of ancient art from Eastern Mediterranean cultures. Alan Safani has coordinated several exhibitions of ancient art, the most recent being The Art of the Cyclades , The Art of Rome , and Core Form: The Cyrus Collection of Core Form Glass Vessels. In addition, he publishes a yearly catalogue of objects for sale and appraises ancient objects for I.A.A.A.T.A. Alan Safani is a third generation art dealer. His grandfather, Dr. Benjamin Abolghassem Mahboubian, a noted authority on ancient near eastern art, excavated extensively with the French in Iran in the 1930's, notably Hamadan and Susa. Dr. Mahboubian assisted in more than a hundred excavations over a period of fifty years and was involved in the discovery of many of the known archaeological sites in Iran. Many of his discoveries have provided new information on the ancient Elamite culture of south western Iran. A number of objects from his collection are now in the major museums of the world. Alan Safani’s father, Edward Safani, was the founder of Safani Gallery, one of the oldest galleries of ancient art in the United States. Edward Safani established Safani Gallery in 1946 and ran the gallery until his death in 1998. He was a noted authority on Islamic art, ancient glass and the art of the Ancient Near East and was often asked by museums, auction houses and dealers to authenticate ancient works of art. As a prominent dealer of Islamic art Edward Safani was instrumental in the creation of several major Islamic collections in America and Europe.
Sarah Stocking Fine Vintage Posters
368 Jackson Street,, San Francisco, California, 94111
Vintage posters from the turn-of-the-century -1940s, especially the French masters
Schillay Fine Art, Inc.
520 East 72nd Street,, New York, New York, 10021
British, Continental and American Paintings of the 19th and 20th c.
1806 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19103, USA
Founded in 1930 by Frank S. Schwarz, the Schwarz Gallery opened on Atlantic City's celebrated boardwalk as specialists in furniture and silver. Relocation to Philadelphia during the Second World War prompted an emphasis on the arts of Philadelphia, and paintings became the Gallery's focus when Frank Schwarz's son Robert joined the firm during the 1960s. In the following years, under the direction of the founder's son Robert D. Schwarz, Sr. and widow Marie D. Schwarz, the Gallery focused on nineteenth- and twentieth-century European and American paintings and became recognized as the nation's major source for the work of Philadelphia artists from Pennsylvania's founding through the mid-twentieth century. Robert D. Schwarz, Sr. earned his Bachelor of Science degree from Dickinson College, and supplemented his studies in the fine arts at the University of Vienna and the Barnes Foundation. As curator of The Stephen Girard Collection from 1970 to 1980, he documented this important Philadelphia collection in a scholarly catalog. Subsequently, his publication of more than seventy informative catalogs in conjunction with the Gallery's exhibitions has established the firm's excellence in its field. Robert D. Schwarz, Jr. joined the firm in 2002 and became the Gallery’s third generation president after the untimely death of Robert Sr. in 2004. As the Gallery looks toward the future, its focus on nineteenth century American art remains the backbone of its renowned collection. Museum Sales The Gallery is fortunate to have placed works in the following museums Adirondack Museum, Blue Mt. Lake, NY Allentown Art Museum, PA Amon Carter Museum of Western Art, Fort Worth, TX Art Institute of Chicago, IL Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore, MD Biggs Museum of American Art, Dover, DE Brandywine River Museum, Chadds Ford, PA Brooklyn Museum of Art, NY Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk, VA Cigna Museum, Philadelphia, PA Columbus Museum of Art, GA Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC Dallas Museum of Art, Dallas, TX Daughters of the American Revolution, Washington, DC Dayton Art Institute, OH Delaware Art Museum, Wilmington, DE Federal Reserve Board, Washington, DC Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington, DC Greenville Museum of Art, Greenville, NC Haggin Museum, Stockton, CA High Museum, Atlanta, GA Hunter Museum of American Art, Chattanooga, TN Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, MI Lancaster Museum of Art, Lancaster, PA LaSalle College Art Museum, Philadelphia, PA Library Company of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA Library of Congress, Washington, DC Ligonier Memorial Foundation, PA Louisiana State Museum of Art, New Orleans, LA Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art, Manhattan, KS Maryland Historical Society, Baltimore, MD Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY Munson Williams Proctor Museum, Utica, NY Museum of the American China Trade, Salem, MA National Gallery, Washington, DC National Museum of American Art, Washington, DC National Museum of Women in the Arts, Washington, DC National Portrait Gallery, Washington, DC New Jersey State Museum, Trenton, NJ New York Historical Society, New York, NY New York State Museum, Albany, NY Newport News Maritime Museum, VA Peale Museum, Baltimore, MD Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, PA Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA Portland Art Museum, Portland, OR Princeton University Art Museum, Princeton, NJ San Francisco Museum, San Francisco, CA Seattle Art Museum, Seattle, WA Strong Museum, Rochester, NY Timken Museum of Art, San Diego, CA Trout Gallery, Dickinson College, PA Virginia Museum of Art, Richmond, VA Wagner Free Institute of Science, Philadelphia, PA Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, MD William Penn Museum, Harrisburg, PA Winterthur Museum, Winterthur, DE Woodlawn Foundation, Mount Vernon, VA Woodmere Art Museum, Philadelphia, PA
Spencer Marks, Ltd.
P.O. Box 330,, Southampton, Massachusetts, 01073
Silver, primarily American and British, early 18th -20th c.
Suchow & Seigel
1050 Second Avenue, Gallery 81,, New York, New York, 10022
Chinese Export, Delft and Objets de Vertu of the 18th c.
The Roman Goronok Company
32081 Cedar Road,, Cleveland, Ohio, 44124
The Roman Goronok Company was founded in 2002 in Cleveland, Ohio and has since become one of the leading dealers in fine and rare stringed instruments (FRSI) worldwide. Roman Goronok has expertise in the provenance and identification of instruments, the needs of professional musicians, the world of patronage and collection and the business of investment. The finest and most valuable instruments were made in Italy in the 17th and 18th centuries and now comprise a finite group of rare and superior examples that combine the qualities of fine works of art and tools of the trade. It is this scarcity of supply, plus definitive craftsmanship and acoustical performance, that has made these antique violins so highly coveted by collectors, curators and investors. Most of them are in regular use by the world’s leading musicians and it is because of this functionality and location within a major artistic tradition they are resistant to trends and changing fashions, which influence market value. The value of fine and rare stringed instruments has not only risen throughout their traded existence, but more importantly, it has never decreased. The Roman Goronok Company operates with absolute discretion, providing outstanding and entirely personal service for clients.
Thomas K Libby
Cannondale Village, 26 Cannon Road, Wilton, Connecticut, 06897
Japanese Ceramics and Pottery, Chinese Porcelain, Western Art Pottery of Asian Influence.
Thomas Nygard Gallery
135 East Main Street,, Bozeman, Montana, 59715
19th and 20th c. American Western, wildlife, and sporting art.
Yew Tree House Antiques
414 East 71st Street,, New York, New York, 10021
17th and 18th c. English and Continental Furniture and Works of Art.