Johnny Van Haeften, of Dutch ancestry, was born in 1952 in London and educated in England, at Eton College. He joined Christie's in 1969 and spent eight years there, partly in the press office and partly in the Stamp Department; Johnny remains a keen philatelist.
In 1977 he left Christie's and set up Johnny Van Haeften Ltd with his wife Sarah, whom he married the same year; their first gallery was in New Bond Street on the third floor above Boucheron. In 1982 he moved to the present gallery at 13 Duke Street, St James's, specialising in Dutch and Flemish Old Master paintings of the 16th and 17th centuries. The Van Haeften Gallery is the only gallery in London dealing exclusively in this field.
Johnny’s former roles include Vice-Chairman of the Society of London Art Dealers, Council member and Vice-President of the British Antique Dealers’ Association, and member of the Grosvenor House Art and Antiques Fair Executive Committee. He has also served on the Reviewing Committee on the Export of Works of Art.
Johnny is currently an Executive Committee member of The European Fine Art Foundation (TEFAF).