THE NATIONAL ANTIQUE & ART DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA, Inc.
A La Vieille Russie, Inc.
781 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10022
A La Vieille Russie, a family enterprise since its founding in Kiev in 1851, left the turmoil of the Revolution and was re-established in Paris around 1920 by Jacques Zolotnitsky, the grandson of the founder. The New York branch was opened in 1941 by the late Alexander Schaffer. Still a multigenerational family business, under the direction of brothers, Messrs. Paul and Peter L. Schaffer, and Paul’s son, Dr. Mark Schaffer, A La Vieille Russie continues the tradition of dealing in fine art and antiques, and is known worldwide for its collection of Russian treasures. Goldsmith and jeweler Carl Fabergé was a client, and we are recognized today as international experts on his works. We specialize in European and American antique jewelry, 18th-century European gold snuff boxes, and antique Russian fine and decorative art, including silver, enamel, and porcelain, paintings, icons, and furniture. We have been at our present location on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 59th Street since 1961, opposite Central Park. We maintain a strong exhibition schedule, both as exhibitors and lenders. For example, we exhibit annually at TEFAF Maastricht in the Netherlands, New York’s Winter Antiques Show, Masterpiece London, and the New York International Fine Art and Antique Dealers Show.
Anthony A.P. Stuempfig
2213 St. James Place, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19103, USA
American Classical & Empire Furniture 1805-1840; American, English & French Decorative Arts, first half 19th century; French & English Furniture first half 19th century; Old Master Paintings; 19th & 20th century American Paintings, Interior Design.
209 East 72nd Street, New York, New York, 10021
Blumka Gallery is a fourth generation firm specializing in Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque works of art including ivory, enamel, furniture, ceramics, metalwork, paintings, and sculpture in stone, wood and terracotta. Since 1938 the gallery has had several locations in Manhattan, and now rests on East 72nd Street. Over the years Blumka Gallery has been responsible, through both sales and donations, for the development and enrichment of public and private collections in America and Europe. The Blumkas played a prominent role in enhancing the Bondy, Brummer, Linsky and Untermeyer collections, as well as those of public institutions such as The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Cleveland Museum of Art; The Detroit Institute of Arts; The Frick Collection; The J.Paul Getty Museum; and The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Bayerisches Nationalmuseum, Munich; The Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, and the Louvre, to name a few. Blumka Gallery participates in world-class fairs such as The European Fine Art Fair each spring in Maastricht, the Biennale des Antiquaires in Paris, and most recently, the Munich Highlights. In addition, Blumka Gallery mounts a biennial exhibition of recent acquisitions, “Collecting Treasures of the Past,” in conjunction with Julius Böhler Kunsthandlung of Starnberg, Germany, a firm in its fifth generation of operation. The long tradition of both firms in the international art market and their combined expertise allows for exhibitions of the highest possible quality. Tony Blumka is a Past President and Honorary Member of the Art and Antique Dealers League of America, and is on the Board of Directors of the National Antique and Art Dealers Association of America. He is a member in good standing of the Syndicat Nationale des Antiquaires, and Confédération Internationale des Négociants en Œvres d’Art.
New York, New York, 10022, USA
Carolle Thibaut-Pomerantz has dealt privately and served as art consultant to corporations, collectors and designers for over twenty-five years, in the field of European Decorative Arts of the XIX and XX century, sharing her time between Paris and New York. Within this field, Carolle Thibaut-Pomerantz’ expertise is French Antique Wallpapers from the late XVIII century to the Art Deco period. Carolle Thibaut Pomerantz has pioneered the rediscovery of this unique art form within the decorative arts. Today many of these wallpaper panels hang in important private and public collections, such as the Chicago Art Institute, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Metropolitan Museum in New York, as well as the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris. The galleries in Paris and New York are open by appointment only. Lecturer and Appraiser of French Antique Wallpapers, MFA, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University. Member of the Syndicat National des Antiquaires, France. Member of the Compagnie Nationale des Experts, France. Carolle Thibaut-Pomerantz has exhibited at the following antique shows: Biennale des Antiquaires, Paris. Pavillon des Antiquaires, Paris. Palm Beach International Art and Antique Fair. International Fine Art and Antique Dealers Show, New York. International 20th Century Arts Fair, New York. Winter Antiques Show, New York. Salon de Mars, Geneva. Modernism, New York. San Francisco Antiques Show. TEFAF, Maastricht.
Carswell Rush Berlin, Inc.
P.O. Box 210 Planetarium Station, New York, NY, 10024, USA
Carswell Rush Berlin, Inc. is a private antique furniture dealer in New York City specializing exclusively in top quality American formal furniture and decorative accessories of the first forty years of the 19th century, referred to as the Classical period. The first classical revival since the Renaissance, profoundly influencing European art, architecture and all the decorative and applied arts beginning in the 2nd quarter of the 18th century, began to effect American furniture design in the same years that the United States was becoming a nation, hence the terms 'Federal' and 'Classical' furniture. It was this taste for designs inspired by ancient Rome, Greece and Egypt, as translated from English and French furniture design directories and pattern books by American cabinetmakers, which created the longest lived, most popular, most influential and, arguably, the most important period of American creativity and craftsmanship in our furniture making history. The mission of Carswell Rush Berlin is to bring to the market important high-style examples from this classical period of Adam, Directoire, Empire and French Restauration furniture made in America's leading fashion and furniture-making centers, Salem, Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore in the years 1800-1840. We focus on pieces ordered from the greatest designers and cabinetmakers by the wealthiest strata of American society of the period. The firm's approach is highly selective, only buying for inventory examples that meet a high standard of design excellence, craftsmanship, quality of materials, original condition and rarity. We are continually seeking to buy period examples of every form that meet these standards and welcome photographs sent by e-mail. Each piece is extensively researched with the description supplied in writing. We offer to our clients an unconditional guarantee that each piece is as described. Mr. Berlin has lectured at New York University's School of Continuing Education where he is an adjunct professor. Mr. Berlin offers a course at NYU each Spring on early 19th century American furniture. He has lectured at the Parsons School of Design in New York, the prestigious Williamsburg Forum, the Detroit Institute of Art, The Saint Louis Museum of Art, The Baltimore Museum of Art, Boscobel and the symposium on American Classical Furniture at the Yale University Art Gallery. His furniture has been featured in The Magazine ANTIQUES, Architectural Digest, House & Garden, Art & Auction, and Veranda Magazine. His essay entitled 'Solid and Permanent Grandeur: The Design Roots of American Classical Furniture' is featured in the show catalogue for the International Fine Art and Antique Dealers Show in NYC, October 18th-24th, 2002. His article 'An Important Rosewood and Cast-Iron Gueridon Attributed to Duncan Phyfe' was published in The Magazine ANTIQUES, May 2000 issue (Vol. CLVII, NO. 5) pages 770-777. Mr. Berlin's article 'Classical Furniture in Federal Philadelphia' was published in Antiques & Fine Art Magazine, Spring 2007 vol. VII, Issue 5, p.192-199. Read the article online. His new article on the Philadelphia cabinetmakers COOK & PARKIN is planned for publication in 2012. He is also writing a comprehensive guide to formal American furniture of the first half of the 19th century. Mr. Berlin serves on the Board of Trustees of The Long Island Museum of American Art, History and Carriages, (formerly The Museums at Stony Brook) (NY) and Spoleto Festival USA (Charleston, S.C.) He is a member of the prestigious National Antiques and Art Dealers Association of America (NAADAA) and the Antique Dealers Association of America (ADA). A graduate of Kenyon College, he founded Carswell Rush Berlin, Inc. in 1992 to serve museums and collectors. The firm's clients include: The Metropolitan Museum of Art (NY) Museum of Fine Arts , Boston (MA) Colonial Williamsburg (Va) The Columbus Museum (Ga) The Governor's Mansion of the State of Texas (Austin) Peabody Essex Museum (Ma) Museum of Fine Art/Houston (Tx) The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (Va) The White House (DC) Detroit Institute of Art (MI) RISD Museum The Brooklyn Museum (NYC) Gracie Mansion (NYC) Winterthur (Del.) We welcome calls and gallery visits and hope that you will visit us at our booth at top antiques shows where we exhibit throughout the year.
Clinton Howell Antiques
30 East 95th Street, Apt. 5B, New York, NY 10028
English antique furniture is more than a sum of its parts, but the parts are often varied and different so that the whole seems disconcertingly complex. There is a logic, of sorts, to English furniture, but there are also delightful eccentricities. I revel in them and will, for example, buy a great country piece as readily as a great high style piece, despite the obvious differences in decorative appeal. It is great furniture that appeals to me—it has to be special. I have been in this business in one form or another for thirty-nine years and there has never been a moment when I have wanted to do something else. Please browse, ask questions and, best of all, come and visit. I guarantee that you will find great beauty herein.
Cora Ginsburg LLC
19 East 74th Street, New York, NY, 10021, USA
As a collector and dealer, the name Cora Ginsburg has been associated with fine and rare costume and antique textiles since the 1940s. Founded in 1971, the company specializes in museum quality antique costume of the 18th and 19th centuries and in European embroideries, silks, and printed textiles of the 17th - 20th centuries. Owner and director Titi Halle has been with the gallery since 1981. Cora Ginsburg LLC collects, consults, and appraises for museums and private collectors in North and South America, Europe and Asia. Titi Halle In 1979, Titi Halle met the renowned Cora Ginsburg; Ms. Halle became director of the business in 1985 and the owner in 1997. She is a member of the National Antique and Art Dealers Association of America, the Centre International d'Etude des Textiles Anciens, the Costume Society of America, the Textile Society of America, and CINOA. Ms. Halle has participated as a textile expert on the Antiques Road Show, now in its fifteenth season. Ms. Halle has lectured at the Textile Museum, Washington D.C., the Detroit Institute of Art, the Annual Colonial Williamsburg Antiques Forum, Sotheby's Institute and at various other museums and historical societies across the United States. She serves on the Textile Vetting Committees for numerous fairs including the Olympia Fine Art and Antiques Fair in London, The European Fine Art Fair in Maastricht, the Netherlands, and the International Fine Art and Antiques Fair and The Winter Antiques Show in New York. For the past 15 years, Ms. Halle has organized and published the annual catalogue for Cora Ginsburg LLC, focusing on rare costume, textiles and needlework. In January 2010, The Magazine Antiques featured a dealer profile of Ms. Halle; Cora Ginsburg LLC and Ms. Halle were also the subject of a column in the Antiques section of the New York Times, January 21, 2010.
Dalva Brothers, Inc.
53 East 77th Street, New York, New York, 10075
Dalva Brothers was founded in 1933 by Leon Dalva Sr. and his brothers. He and his wife Jean ran the gallery until they were joined by their sons David II and Leon Jr. The founder’s grandsons, David III, and most recently Adam are the third generation of Dalvas to work here. We have recently moved to a six story historic townhouse at 53 East 77th Street after over 60 years on East 57th Street. Dalva Brothers has one of the finest and largest inventories of 18th century continental decorative arts in the world, including furniture, porcelain, clocks, and sculpture, displayed in period paneled rooms. We have sold pieces to interior decorators, collectors, dealers, and museums, including the J. Paul Getty Museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the Louvre. Our collection ranges from masterpieces with royal provenance to beautiful but more accessible pieces that reflect the amazing craftsmanship and design skills of eighteenth century Europe.
Firestone and Parson, Inc.
8 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 2116, USA
Firestone and Parson was founded in 1946 by Edwin I. Firestone and Kenneth B. G. Parson, Jr., at 344 Boylston Street in Boston. In 1956, the firm leased premises at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel on Arlington Street, where it remained for forty years. Although he continued to be fully active through 2007, Mr. Firestone was succeeded as President in 1989 by his son David Firestone, who had joined the firm fulltime in 1975. In 1995, Firestone and Parson moved to its present location at 8 Newbury Street. Since its inception, Firestone and Parson has been dedicated to high quality inventory and to knowledgeable, understated presentation. It is also committed to providing a full range of services relating to jewelry and fine silver. The company’s interest in quality and value has led it, over the years, to expand its purchasing and sale of old jewelry, colored stones and diamonds, as well as fine antique and estate silver, while maintaining a full line of classic modern pieces. Highlights in the firm’s history include record prices paid at auction for gold (a George II teapot in 1967), for Irish silver (a George II bowl engraved with a racing scene in 1973), for American silver (a federal bowl engraved with ships in 1979), as well as numerous sales to major museums. Firestone and Parson has sold historic diamonds, superb colored stones, and rare signed jewels. We take great pride in the part we have played in developing significant private collections. The purchase and sale of many important jewelry estates and individual jewels are at the heart of the firm’s business. Firestone and Parson is open 9:30 to 5:00 Monday through Saturday from October through May, and the same hours, Monday through Friday, June through September. It is a longtime member of the National Antique and Art Dealers Association of America. Purchasing Firestone and Parson actively seeks to purchase fine jewelry and silver. Transactions are held in the strictest confidence and offers are backed with immediate payment. Firestone and Parson will endeavor to meet or improve on any prior bid or auction estimate. We recommend that sellers seek an independent valuation before contacting us.
Fred Moheban Gallery
16 East 52nd Street, 2nd Floor, New York, New York, 10022, USA
The Fred Moheban Gallery is a fine purveyor of antique rugs and carpets. Whether called antique Persian carpets or rugs, silk Persians, Heriz Persians, antique Oriental or antique European carpets - the most prized floor weavings in the world go by a variety of similar names. For over 50 years, our passion has been to find the rare antique rug or carpet that connotes the true artist, sometimes in those pieces that signify universal beauty through a grand palace-sized carpet, a room-sized jewel, or even a small prayer rug. Our collection of antique rugs and carpets spans the great weaving traditions of the 18th and 19th centuries and includes: from Persia, Heriz, Kashan, Sarouk, Serapi, Sultanabad and Tabriz; from Turkey, Oushak; from France, Aubusson and Savonnerie; from India, Agra and Amritsar; and from the Caucasus and Bessarabia. Since antique Oriental rugs and carpets first began to appear in the paintings of great Renaissance artists such as Holbein, they have been used to simultaneously furnish a room with beauty, variety and warmth, while indicating status and wealth on the part of the owner. Through the years their longevity has accorded them recognition as a sound financial investment; consequently antique rugs and carpets are sought out by high end designers and architects throughout the world. Because of our dedication to quality and integrity in antique rugs and carpets we have been awarded membership in the prestigious National Antique & Art Dealers Association of America. As the only antique rug and carpet dealer in the association, we are proud to uphold the association’s tradition of scholarship, provenance, authenticity, and condition. The association was founded in 1954 and its members have become the recognized authorities in their fields. We aspire to give the designers, decorators, collectors and architects that form our clientele the original design and rarity that they seek in an antique rug or carpet, whether it be tribal or made for the Western market. If it is for a hip young designer doing a loft in Soho or a collector in Rome, we try to find the work that will enhance the architecture of a home or place of business, bring the excitement of artistry and tradition into a modern ambiance, reveal the personality of the owner, or round out a collection. We have sent antique rugs and carpets to various points around the globe. Please go through our selection of antique rugs and carpets. We pride ourselves on our service and would love to help you. Sincerely, Fred and Rami Moheban
Georgian Manor Antiques
P. O. Box 271, Fairhaven, Massachusetts, 02719, USA
Enrique J. Goytizolo came from Lima, Peru in 1967 to study at the New York School of Interior Design. After graduation in 1970, he co-founded Goytizolo and Kastner Antiques, at 1157 Second Avenue N.Y.C. Inspired by his preference for British design and history, Mr. Goytizolo then established Georgian Manor Antiques at 305 East 61st Street N.Y.C. In 1996, the firm moved to it’s current location at 29 Center Street in the historic village of Fairhaven, Massachusetts. Since the beginning, the firm has specialized in period English furniture and related accessories of decorative beauty and refined scale suitable for apartments and smaller houses. A hallmark of the firm is its utmost regard for aesthetic, quality, and authenticity. Georgian Manor Antiques is open only by appointment and participates in prestigious charity antique shows throughout the country. A board member of NAADAA (The National Antiques And Art Dealer Association of America), Enrique J. Goytizolo serves on the vetting, dealer and advisory committees for several premier antique shows and organizations. Enrique Goytizolo and Georgian Manor Antiques have been featured in many magazines and newspapers throughout the years including this recent cover story in SOCO Magazine:
James Robinson, Inc.
480 Park Avenue, New York, NY, 10022
In 1912, James Robinson founded the firm bearing his name at 402 Madison Avenue in New York City where he specialized in Antique Silver and Antique Chinese Porcelains. After the First World War, he relocated to 721 Fifth Avenue at 57th Street and the firm remained in a one block radius of that site at 716 Fifth Avenue, 12 East 57th Street, and 15 East 57th Street until 1994 when it moved to its current location at 480 Park Avenue at 58th Street. When James Robinson died in 1936, his brother-in-law, Edward Munves, succeeded him and was head of the firm until his death in 1983. Under his direction, the importance of Antique Silver was strengthened and a more significant emphasis was placed on English and French Porcelains and Glass. Edward Munves, Jr. joined the firm in 1952 and over the next decade jewelry was added to the inventory of top quality antique decorative arts. In addition, the firm expanded their unique collection of modern hand-made sterling silver. Carrying on the family tradition, Joan Boening joined her grandfather and father in 1979 and has been instrumental in elevating the Antique Jewelry collection to international prominence. She is now the president of James Robinson, Inc. Today, the firm is best known for its outstanding Antique Jewelry of the 19th Century and Art Deco Jewelry of the 20th Century; Antique Silver of the 16th through 18th Centuries; Antique Porcelain services from England and the Continent; and Antique Table Glass. Also of note are the unique Handmade Sterling Silver reproductions in flatware, tea and coffee sets, candlesticks and trays which the firm produces today in the same manner in which they were crafted in the 18th Century. In every speciality, the main criteria in selecting objects are authenticity, workmanship, artistry, and condition, qualities evident in each article.
Joan B. Mirviss Ltd.
39 East 78th Street, 4th Floor, New York, NY, 10075, USA
Specializing in Japanese fine art for over thirty-five years, Joan B Mirviss LTD features Japanese screens and scrolls, woodblock prints (ukiyo-e), and modern and contemporary Japanese ceramics in its Madison Avenue Gallery. Joan B Mirviss LTD will continue to bring audiences in New York, around the country and abroad the very best in Japanese fine art, featuring solo shows by important ceramists and exhibitions of antique woodblock prints. As always, you will find us at the Winter Antiques Show, the preeminent art and antiques fair in the country where we have exhibited as the leading dealer of Japanese art for thirty years, as well as SOFA NY, one of the most important and popular art fairs to present the works of leading and emerging artists in contemporary decorative arts and design.
One Magnificent Mile, 980 North Michigan Ave., Suite 1330, Chicago IL 60611, USA
1, rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau, 75001 Paris, FRANCE
23 East 73rd Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10021, USA
LES ENLUMINURES was founded in Paris in 1991 by Dr. Sandra Hindman in association with the Chicago-based business, and it has opened a new gallery in New York in May 2012. Specializing in manuscripts and miniatures from the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, the gallery also handles rings and jewelry from the same periods. It organizes four or five exhibitions a year, some in collaboration with other dealers and some traveling to other locations, and these are often accompanied by catalogues. LES ENLUMINURES exhibits at many prestigious art and antique shows, including The European Fine Art Fair (TEFAF) in Maastricht, the Winter Antiques Show in New York, Masterpiece in London, and the San Francisco Fall Antiques Show. International clients of the gallery include the Musée du Louvre in Paris, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C., the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles, as well as many other institutional and private clients worldwide. SANDRA HINDMAN is a leading expert on Medieval and Renaissance manuscript illumination. Professor Emerita of Art History at Northwestern University and Owner of LES ENLUMINURES, Paris, Chicago and NewYork, Professor Hindman is author, coauthor, or editor of more than ten books, as well as numerous articles on the history and reception of illuminated manuscripts and on medieval rings. These publications include The Robert Lehman Collection. IV. Illuminations (New York Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1997); Manuscript Illumination in the Modern Age: Recovery and Reconstruction (Mary and Leigh Block Museum of Art, 2001); and Toward an Art History of Medieval Rings: A Private Collection(Paris, 2007). Sandra Hindman is a member of the Antiquarian Booksellers’ Association of America, the National Antique and Art Dealers Association of America, the Syndicat National de la Librairie Ancienne et Moderne, and the Syndicat National des Antiquaires.
Lillian Nassau LLC
220 East 57th Street, New York, New York, 10022
Lillian Nassau LLC, world-renown specialists in Tiffany Studios lamps, Tiffany Studios favrile glass, Tiffany Studios favrile pottery, Tiffany Studios mosaics, Tiffany Studios windows, Tiffany Studios desk pieces and Louis C. Tiffany paintings celebrates over 65 years in the business. Acquired in October, 2006, by long-time Managing Director, Arlie Sulka, Lillian Nassau LLC continues to dominate the field with its expertise and scholarship in Tiffany Studios, advising the most prestigious museums and collectors world-wide. Under the direction of Arlie Sulka, the gallery has mounted numerous groundbreaking exhibitions and published two definitive books on Tiffany favrile glass and pottery by Dr. Martin Eidelberg. Adding to Lillian Nassau's specialization in the work of Tiffany Studios and Louis Comfort Tiffany is Gallery Director Eric Silver's expertise in American sculpture and Art Nouveau decorative arts, other areas for which Lillian Nassau LLC is known. Both Arlie Sulka and Eric Silver have been seen on the PBS Antiques Roadshow and are looking forward to participating in the upcoming 16th season. Lillian Nassau opened her antiques shop in 1945 in New York City on Third Avenue between 54th and 55th streets, specializing in 18th and 19th Century porcelain, glass and objets d'art. In the 1950’s she became increasingly interested in the decorative arts of the Art Nouveau period and was especially fascinated by work of Louis Comfort Tiffany and Tiffany Studios. It wasn’t long until her inventory changed and she became recognized as the premier expert in the work of Louis Comfort Tiffany and Tiffany Studios. Almost single-handedly credited with reviving the interest in the work of Louis C. Tiffany, Mrs. Nassau surrounded herself with trend setting collectors who shared her passion. Among them were Walter Chrysler and Joseph Heil, who gave generously to the Museum of Modern Art, Ed Wormley, the prominent furniture designer, and Edgar Kaufmann, Jr., whose family commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to build their legendary home 'Falling Water.' In retrospect, it is difficult to believe that this now popular era of decorative arts had been forgotten. Since little had been written about this period, Mrs. Nassau compiled a comprehensive research library that contained primary source material and included contemporary magazines, books catalogues and brochures. She shared her library and knowledge with these early collectors and museum curators. As a willing lender to early museum exhibitions, Mrs. Nassau encouraged her clients to do the same. Her association with curators paved the way for two early exhibitions of Art Nouveau and Tiffany, the first held at the Museum of Contemporary Crafts in 1958 and the second, the seminal show at the Museum of Modern Art in 1960. Upholding that tradition, the gallery has continued to loan to museum exhibitions, most recently to 'Tiffany Glass: A Passion for Colour' which opened at the Musée de Luxembourg in Paris, France, traveled to the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts in Montreal, Canada and then closed at the Virginia Museum of Art in Richmond, Virgina. Other recent loans include the Shelburne Museum, New York Historical Society in New York City, the Carnegie Museum of Art, the Dallas Museum of Art, the Toledo Museum of Art, the Seattle Art Museum, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London and the National Gallery in Washington D.C. Mrs. Nassau was the generous donor of the magnificent Tiffany Studios mosaic fountain that is permanently on view in the Sculpture Garden of the American Wing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, and she also presented the Metropolitan with a breathtaking necklace by Rene Lalique. In 1967 the gallery moved to its present location at 220 East 57 Street. Although Mrs. Nassau was approaching the typical age of retirement, she was building momentum as the driving force behind the revival of the works by Tiffany and the decorative arts of the Art Nouveau and Art Deco periods. Celebrity collectors, including members of the Beatles, as well as Led Zeppelin, Catherine Deneuve, Barbra Streisand, Andy Warhol, and other leading pop culture personalities became clients and seized the opportunity to share in Mrs. Nassau's expertise while major museums throughout the United States and Europe steadily made major acquisitions from the gallery. With over thirty years of experience working for Mrs. Nassau and her son, Paul, current owner Arlie Sulka is now considered one of the foremost experts on Louis Comfort Tiffany and Tiffany Studios, maintaining the gallery’s world-renowned status. Ms. Sulka maintains enduring professional relationships with private clients and regularly advises leading museum curators from around the world. Under Ms. Sulka’s guidance, the gallery has mounted a series of landmark exhibitions concentrating on the work of Louis Comfort Tiffany and Tiffany Studios including the lamps, blown glass and mosaics. We are very pleased to commemorate our 65th anniversary, this November, 2010 with a seminal exhibition of Tiffany Favrile Pottery, marking the gallery’s second publication written by Dr. Martin Eidelberg, 'Tiffany Favrile Pottery and the Quest of Beauty.' Copyright © 2006-2011 Lillian Nassau LLC All Rights Reserved
929 Madison Avenue at 74th Street, New York, New York, 10021
Mallett is one of the oldest established antiques dealers in the world, specialising in the finest pieces of furniture and works of art, including pictures, clocks and other high quality objets d'art, primarily from the 18th century and Regency periods. For over 100 years Mallett has been sourcing important antiques with impeccable provenance for private collectors and the great museums of the world, including the Victoria & Albert Museum in London and The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. The business was founded in 1865 in Bath by John Mallett, a jeweller and silversmith, and was carried on by his son, Walter Mallett, who expanded the trade to include old silver and furniture. In 1910 a shop was opened in New Bond Street, London and in 1937 the business, by which time had become one of the leading antique dealers in England, moved to London with the Bath premises being closed. Ever since then the business's principal showroom has been in New Bond Street, London. In 2003 the business opened its showroom in Madison Avenue, New York, thus establishing itself in the two major centres of the international antiques market, London and New York. In 2008 Mallett launched two new businesses, Meta and James Harvey British Art. Meta is a venture dedicated to the pairing of cutting edge contemporary design by renowned designers and acclaimed master craftsmen with materials and production techniques from the 18th century to create beautiful contemporary furniture and objects. The defining factor is Mallett’s unparalleled knowledge of 18th century materials and the craftsmen who still work with these traditions. Meta’s inaugural collection was launched in Milan, New York and London in 2008 and its aim is to create design classics of a quality unseen in today’s contemporary market. James Harvey British Art is a gallery dedicated to promoting British Artists from the 17th century to the present day, with an emphasis on the less established names of the 18th and 19th centuries. The gallery, located in Chelsea, London, has been created from the picture department at Mallett which James Harvey has run for the previous 10 years. James has established himself as a knowledgeable and respected expert on British Artists and separating the department from Mallett under his leadership gives him the opportunity to market the pictures in a more specialised fashion. As well as dealing in antique furniture and works of art, Mallett has for many years had a restoration division with highly skilled craftsmen including cabinet makers, polishers and gilders restoring and conserving pieces for museums and private collectors. In 2007 Mallett merged this department into H J Hatfield & Sons Limited (Hatfields), one of the longest established and highly respected restoration businesses in the world. Mallett owns 60% of the merged entity with the existing owner of Hatfields, Gurr Johns Limited, retaining 40% and the enlarged business can now offer high quality restoration across a wide range of skills.
Mary Helen McCoy Fine Antiques
2962 Midland Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee, 38111
Mary Helen McCoy is a woman with a mission – to bring her clients the ultimate in period furniture and decorative arts. Today, her firm is considered one of the nation’s premier sources for fine and unusual, period, 17th-19th century, French furniture and decorative arts with an emphasis on the finest period, 18th century French furniture. The gallery is located in Charleston, South Carolina. A native of Birmingham, Ala., McCoy grew up in an environment rich in culture and the decorative arts. Her mother and grandmother exposed her to European and southern traditions at an early age which nurtured her love of beautiful things. McCoy began her antiques career in 1987 with at Wardemond Galleries in Birmingham as the manager and buyer. She traveled extensively searching for antique furniture and decorative arts in England and in auctions in New York City. In early 1990, she went to France to buy for the first time. The trip was seminal. She fell in love with French antiques and embarked on a path that was to culminate in her becoming one of the foremost dealers in French antiques in the world. McCoy established her own business in late 1990. She began amassing an extensive library as part of her unceasing pursuit of knowledge. More importantly she took on high-end, design jobs which included privately procuring fine antiques and art for select clients. She was retained by her clients to work side by side with architects and landscape designers on several projects to furnish an enormous variety of architectural and garden elements. During the period between 1990 and 1997 she bought and sold privately also bringing into this country wonderful examples of the finest eighteenth century French furnishings. After years trying to prove to the bankers in her community that she was not working as a hobby as many Southern ladies do, she opened her first gallery. As a result of her professionalism in the French marketplace several dealers sponsored her membership into the prestigious Syndicat National des Antiquaires in 2000. Today, Mary Helen McCoy Fine Antiques is one of only 14 firms in the United States that is a member and the only member outside New York. In 2002 the firm joined The Art and Antique Dealers League of America and the Confederation Internationale des Negociants en Oeuvres d’Art. McCoy was asked to become a member of The National Antique & Art Dealers Association of America, Inc. in 2008. Her membership in NAADAA came as a big surprise since many of the firms represented in this organization have been established for a longer period of time. Membership in all these organizations which are reviewed annually to maintain the highest ethical standards, represents the foremost respect a dealer can obtain and McCoy’s hard-earned acceptance into the largely male-dominated world of French antique dealers. Mary Helen McCoy Fine Antiques has exhibited in prominent, national and international fine art and antiques fairs including The International Fine Art and Antique Dealers Show and the Connoisseur's Antiques Fair in New York City, Palm Beach | America’s International Fine Art and Antiques Fair in West Palm Beach, Fla., and the Charleston International Antiques Show in Charleston, S.C. Currently as a member of the board of The Art and Antique Dealers League of America she is actively participating with the launch of The Spring Show NYC at the Park Avenue Armory. The firm has been featured in many national and international publications such as Architectural Digest, Traditional Home, Le Figaro, Connaissance des arts, The New York Times, The Palm Beach Post, Art + Auction, The Magazine Antiques, The Catalog of Antiques & Fine Art, The Antiques Trade Gazette, Maine Antique Digest, Southern Accents, Veranda, Forbes Life, and Charleston Style and Design. Always an active participant in community affairs, Mary Helen McCoy participates with the projects of The Historic Charleston Foundation and The Preservation Society of Charleston. While in Birmingham, she served on many cultural boards which resulted in her selection to The Women’s Committee of 100 for Birmingham. Her favorite projects have always been with The Birmingham Museum of Art from her art classes at six years old to her Presidency of The Members Board. As a former Trustee of the Birmingham Museum of Art she also served on the acquisition committee. From Charleston she remains loyal to the European Arts Circle of that museum.
38-15 30th Street, Long Island City, New York, 11101, USA
Nesle Inc. was founded in 1936 by Albert and Coila Nesle. For years its marble facade and sparkling window have attracted collectors and borrowers interested in period lighting. The hundreds of chandeliers, wall fixtures and candelabra on display illustrate the major design periods of France, England, Italy, Austria, Russia and the Scandinavian countries. Distinguishing characteristics of country and style are visible in the crystal, gold bronze, wrought iron and porcelain fixtures. Works by leading craftsmen and manufacturers of the 18th and 19th centuries such as Perry, Thomire, Hope, Baccarat, Osler and Barbedienne are often present. The firm's founder, the late Albert Nesle, and president, Nancy Nesle, have, for years, traveled the world over in order to assemble this outstanding collection of antique lighting fixtures. Their dedication to quality and flawless taste has been enthusiastically shared with museums, curators, restoration committees and private collectors throughout the world. Many years ago, recognizing that demand would surpass the supply of antique lighting fixtures, the Nesles carefully selected examples of the various periods and styles for reproduction. These fixtures are still made by European craftsmen using age-old methods and carefully monitored to insure they meet the high quality standards demanded by Nesle.
Philip Colleck, Ltd.
311 East 58th Street, New York, New York, 10022
Established in 1938, Philip Colleck, Ltd. specializes in very fine eighteenth and early nineteenth century English Furniture and works of art. We are located in midtown Manhattan in a pre-Civil War Landmark brick house at 311 East 58th Street, just east of Second Avenue. Two floors of exhibition space display our collection of William & Mary, Queen Anne, Georgian, Chippendale, Hepplewhite, Sheraton and Regency furniture, with an emphasis on lighting, chinoiserie, mirrors and screens. All of our inventory is carefully selected and guaranteed in writing. We take pride in our stock and are always searching for pieces of exceptional quality with particular attention paid to fine color and patination.
Polly Latham Asian Art
535 Albany Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 2118, USA
For over thirty years, Polly Latham Chinese Export Porcelain has specialized in fine Chinese and Japanese Export Porcelains of the 17th, 18th & 19th centuries, as well as related decorative arts. Acquiring for discerning collectors, museum curators, designers and dealers, we offer a diverse quality collection of early Chinese blue & white, Chinese Imari, armorials, famille rose, American Market and Mandarin as well as Japanese Arita, Imari, Satsuma and Hirado. Professional appraisal services also available.
Ralph M. Chait Galleries, Inc.
16 East 52nd Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY, 10019, USA
The Ralph M. Chait Galleries is the oldest specialist gallery in the United States in the field of fine antique Chinese porcelain works of art. When Ralph M. Chait entered this field in 1910 he was a young man of 18 years, new to this country from London, and new to the field of Chinese art. Undaunted and with a remarkable intellect and innate sense of taste and quality, he taught himself and quickly became a knowledgeable, respected, and trusted dealer and authority in the field. With an impeccable eye for quality and connoisseurship, Ralph soon counted among his clients some of the most important collectors of the day including John D. Rockefeller, Jr., Edward Sonnenschein, and Yale Kneeland. Over time, his clientele expanded to include many other major collectors including President Herbert Hoover, Sen. Theodore Francis Green (Rhode Island), Sen. Hugh Scott (Pennsylvania), Rep. Clark W. Thompson (Texas), Vice President Nelson Rockefeller, Sir Percival David, Avery Brundage, Winston Guest, Robert and Beatrice Mayer, and Ira Koger.. The gallery’s clientele today continues to include some of the most prominent collectors worldwide. This history is also apparent on the wall of photographs in our Library of some of our clients (including some well known collectors) mostly from the 1950’s and 60’s- and at the table in the center of the room. This table is where we sit with clients to examine and discuss pieces. It has been with is from our early days. It is remarkable to consider the variety of collectors- from artists, political figures, executives, scholars, and connoisseurs- who have sat there. While many of these collectors represented a variety of backgrounds and callings, it is interesting to see their convergence in this one place, drawn by their appreciation and interest in antique Chinese art. Over the years, the gallery has sold pieces to many major museums including: the Metropolitan Museum of Art; the Philadelphia Museum of Art; the Freer Gallery; the Asian Art Museum, San Francisco; the Los Angeles Country Museum; the St. Louis Art Museum; the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art; the Art Institute of Chicago; the Baltimore Museum of Art; the Norton Museum of Art; the Sackler Gallery; and the Peabody Essex Museum. The gallery has also worked with many major architects, decorators, and designers including Frank Lloyd Wright, Jay Spectre, Sister Parish, Albert Hadley, Ted Graber, Mark Hampton, Mario Buatta, Peter Marino, Elissa Cullman, and Parkin Saunders. The gallery has for decades many prestigious antiques fairs in the United States, including today the Winter Antiques Show, the Philadelphia Antiques and Art Show, the Delaware Antiques Show, and the Nantucket Summer Antiques Show.. The gallery was also a founding member of the National Antiques and Art Dealers Association of America (member of CINOA), and members of the firm have serves as Officers and President of the organization. One hundred seven years in business is an extraordinary accomplishment for a firm, particularly remaining within one family. As a three-generation family business we are cognizant of and steeped in its past but always are looking ahead. The gallery has witnessed a tremendous amount of history in its field. It has also weathered a remarkable variety of world and economic conditions. Throughout this time, it has maintained and enhanced its reputation as experts in the field and as an extraordinary purveyor of fine antique Chinese art to private and museum collectors throughout the world. The gallery today is owned and run by Steven and Andrew Chait. We are profoundly grateful to our grandfather and founder Ralph M. Chait and our father Allan Chait and aunt Marion Chait Howe, in whose footsteps we now walk as we continue forward to the illustrious years ahead.
S.J. Shrubsole Corp.
26 East 81st Street, New York, NY, 10028
Founded in London in 1912, S.J. Shrubsole opened a New York branch in 1936, under the direction of Eric N. Shrubsole. Mr. Shrubsole spent that year driving a black Packard, laden with silver and letters of introduction, to virtually every major city in America. By the time he returned a year later, he had lain the foundations for what would become one of America’s finest antique shops. Since then, we have worked with some of the world’s greatest collectors, from the serious, such as Irwin Untermyer and H.F. duPont, to the compulsive, such as Arthur Gilbert and William Randolph Hearst, to the compulsively unserious, such as Groucho Marx, who on being told that everything in the shop was antique and English, pointed his cigar at our porter and asked “even him?” We have handled some of the greatest pieces in the world: the Sutherland Wine Cistern in the Minneapolis Institute of Art, the Ashburnham Centerpiece in the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Elizabethan Ewer and Basin in the Boston MFA were all bought and sold by us and represent a tiny portion of the great treasures that pass through our shop. Our expertise and enthusiasm are unmatched, and museums and collectors all over the world turn to us for advice, opinions, and valuations. Finally, we pride ourselves on customer service, and on helping people with items large and small. If you are looking for a gift for $500, or a major piece of silver for a couple of million, you’re in the right place.
Safani Gallery, Inc.
7 East 75th Street, Suite 2D, New York, New York, 10021
Safani Gallery Inc. was established in 1998. Specializing in museum quality works of art from ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt and the Near East, Safani Gallery Inc. holds a prominent position in the international market for ancient art. Our clients include the Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Boston Museum of Fine Arts, the Detroit Institute of Fine Arts, the Freer Gallery of Art, the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Stuttgart Museum of Art, the Louvre, the J. Paul Getty Museum as well as other prominent public and private collections. We exhibit annually at the Basel Ancient Art Fair, the Winters Antiques Show, and the Brussels Ancient Art Fair. Safani Galley Inc. is member of I.A.A.DA., I.A.A.A.T.A., and the Art and Antique Dealers League of America. Alan Safani has been involved in the ancient art trade his entire life. As a child he frequently visited his father’s gallery and was fascinated by the beauty and history of the objects he handled. After college he got graduate degrees from New York University’s Institute of Fine Arts, majoring in Ancient Near Eastern and Classical art and archaeology with minors in Islamic and Egyptian art. Alan Safani is a recognized expert in the authenticity and value of ancient art from Eastern Mediterranean cultures. Alan Safani has coordinated several exhibitions of ancient art, the most recent being The Art of the Cyclades , The Art of Rome , and Core Form: The Cyrus Collection of Core Form Glass Vessels. In addition, he publishes a yearly catalogue of objects for sale and appraises ancient objects for I.A.A.A.T.A. Alan Safani is a third generation art dealer. His grandfather, Dr. Benjamin Abolghassem Mahboubian, a noted authority on ancient near eastern art, excavated extensively with the French in Iran in the 1930's, notably Hamadan and Susa. Dr. Mahboubian assisted in more than a hundred excavations over a period of fifty years and was involved in the discovery of many of the known archaeological sites in Iran. Many of his discoveries have provided new information on the ancient Elamite culture of south western Iran. A number of objects from his collection are now in the major museums of the world. Alan Safani’s father, Edward Safani, was the founder of Safani Gallery, one of the oldest galleries of ancient art in the United States. Edward Safani established Safani Gallery in 1946 and ran the gallery until his death in 1998. He was a noted authority on Islamic art, ancient glass and the art of the Ancient Near East and was often asked by museums, auction houses and dealers to authenticate ancient works of art. As a prominent dealer of Islamic art Edward Safani was instrumental in the creation of several major Islamic collections in America and Europe.
1806 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19103, USA
Founded in 1930 by Frank S. Schwarz, the Schwarz Gallery opened on Atlantic City's celebrated boardwalk as specialists in furniture and silver. Relocation to Philadelphia during the Second World War prompted an emphasis on the arts of Philadelphia, and paintings became the Gallery's focus when Frank Schwarz's son Robert joined the firm during the 1960s. In the following years, under the direction of the founder's son Robert D. Schwarz, Sr. and widow Marie D. Schwarz, the Gallery focused on nineteenth- and twentieth-century European and American paintings and became recognized as the nation's major source for the work of Philadelphia artists from Pennsylvania's founding through the mid-twentieth century. Robert D. Schwarz, Sr. earned his Bachelor of Science degree from Dickinson College, and supplemented his studies in the fine arts at the University of Vienna and the Barnes Foundation. As curator of The Stephen Girard Collection from 1970 to 1980, he documented this important Philadelphia collection in a scholarly catalog. Subsequently, his publication of more than seventy informative catalogs in conjunction with the Gallery's exhibitions has established the firm's excellence in its field. Robert D. Schwarz, Jr. joined the firm in 2002 and became the Gallery’s third generation president after the untimely death of Robert Sr. in 2004. As the Gallery looks toward the future, its focus on nineteenth century American art remains the backbone of its renowned collection. Museum Sales The Gallery is fortunate to have placed works in the following museums Adirondack Museum, Blue Mt. Lake, NY Allentown Art Museum, PA Amon Carter Museum of Western Art, Fort Worth, TX Art Institute of Chicago, IL Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore, MD Biggs Museum of American Art, Dover, DE Brandywine River Museum, Chadds Ford, PA Brooklyn Museum of Art, NY Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk, VA Cigna Museum, Philadelphia, PA Columbus Museum of Art, GA Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC Dallas Museum of Art, Dallas, TX Daughters of the American Revolution, Washington, DC Dayton Art Institute, OH Delaware Art Museum, Wilmington, DE Federal Reserve Board, Washington, DC Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington, DC Greenville Museum of Art, Greenville, NC Haggin Museum, Stockton, CA High Museum, Atlanta, GA Hunter Museum of American Art, Chattanooga, TN Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, MI Lancaster Museum of Art, Lancaster, PA LaSalle College Art Museum, Philadelphia, PA Library Company of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA Library of Congress, Washington, DC Ligonier Memorial Foundation, PA Louisiana State Museum of Art, New Orleans, LA Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art, Manhattan, KS Maryland Historical Society, Baltimore, MD Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY Munson Williams Proctor Museum, Utica, NY Museum of the American China Trade, Salem, MA National Gallery, Washington, DC National Museum of American Art, Washington, DC National Museum of Women in the Arts, Washington, DC National Portrait Gallery, Washington, DC New Jersey State Museum, Trenton, NJ New York Historical Society, New York, NY New York State Museum, Albany, NY Newport News Maritime Museum, VA Peale Museum, Baltimore, MD Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, PA Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA Portland Art Museum, Portland, OR Princeton University Art Museum, Princeton, NJ San Francisco Museum, San Francisco, CA Seattle Art Museum, Seattle, WA Strong Museum, Rochester, NY Timken Museum of Art, San Diego, CA Trout Gallery, Dickinson College, PA Virginia Museum of Art, Richmond, VA Wagner Free Institute of Science, Philadelphia, PA Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, MD William Penn Museum, Harrisburg, PA Winterthur Museum, Winterthur, DE Woodlawn Foundation, Mount Vernon, VA Woodmere Art Museum, Philadelphia, PA
The Merrin Gallery
724 Fifth AVenue, 3rd Floor, New York, NY, 10019, USA
Samuel Merrin has been leading the gallery since 1987, taking over from his father, Edward Merrin, the gallery’s founder. Ed began his professional career in the family jewelry store, but “discovered” Pre-Columbian art on his honeymoon in Mexico and began collecting. At first, he used some of the objects for display purposes, highlighting them in their glittering cases. But one day, when a customer asked for the price of the ancient object rather than the jewel, a light bulb went off in Ed’s mind and he embarked on his life’s true career. From its humble beginnings, sharing a space with the jewelry store, the gallery eventually moved to its current location and developed into one of the premier galleries of ancient art in the world.
The Old Print Shop, Inc.
150 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY, 10016, USA
The Old Print Shop, Inc - founded in 1898 - is an art gallery specializing in American graphic arts, antiquarian maps, atlases, artist books (livres d'artist), and art reference books. The shop has an extensive inventory with very strong holdings of American historical prints, Currier & Ives, John James Audubon, American town views, and maps published before 1850. Our inventory of American fine art prints 1900-1950 is one of the largest in the United States . We represent a number of famous artists' estates and over seventy contemporary printmakers. The gallery has been in the same location in mid-town Manhattan since 1925 and is one of the oldest family run art galleries in the United States . Since our inception in 1898, we have focused on the graphic arts - artists that use printmaking as an expressive medium. Prints, as they are called in the industry, have been collected by individuals and museums since the fifteenth-century when Albrecht Durer began making prints. Most museums have holdings of prints. In the United States the Library of Congress has the largest public collection. However, the Amon Carter Museum , The Art Institute of Chicago, Boston Athenaeum, Boston Public Library, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art , New-York Historical Society, and New York Public Library also have extensive collections that are available for viewing by the public. In 2007 the shop purchased The Old Print Gallery in Washington , DC . The gallery is located in historic Georgetown just off M Street. The address is 1220 31st Street NW , Washington , DC 20007 , telephone 202-965-1818 . In the Washington gallery there is a fine selection of American art between 1750 and 1950 and a good selection of contemporary printmakers, as well as a fine selection of antique maps. The shop encourages you to search our on-line inventory and/or to visit the gallery during your next visit to New York City or Washington , DC . The online inventory can be searched in several ways. The easiest way is by selecting a category pictured above or on the left navigation bar and then selecting a sub-category. You can also use our search feature located at the top of every page. Type in an artist/cartographer's name, subject, location, or a key word and the items in inventory will come up. The gallery is a proud member of the following professional and trade organizations: The International Fine Print Dealers Association (IFPDA) Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) The International Map Collectors' Society (IMCOS) The National Antique & Art Dealers Association of America (NAADAA) Confédération Internationale des Négotiants en Oeuvres d'Art (CINOA) The Ephemera Society of America American Historical Print Collectors Socitey
Ward & Company Works of Art LLC.
24 East 81st Street, 4th Floor, New York, New York, 10028, USA
Lauded throughout the world for its knowledge and connoisseurship, Ward & Company, Works of Art provides private clients an opportunity to acquire and sell exceptional Ancient and Medieval Art. As a resource for museums and collectors since 1983, Ward & Company maintains the highest professional standards while striving to offer superlative works of art at all price levels. The gallery is located on 81st Street just off Madison Avenue, close to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and welcomes visits from students, scholars, curators and collectors.
William Vareika Fine Arts, Ltd.
212 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, Rhode Island, 2840, USA
One of the largest art galleries in New England, William Vareika Fine Arts, Ltd. specializes in the purchase and sale of important 18th, 19th, and early 20th century American paintings, watercolors, drawings and prints. For twenty years the gallery has enjoyed a national reputation, numbering among its clients some of the leading museums, corporations and private collectors in the United States, as well as many beginning collectors. Recently doubled in exhibition space, William Vareika Fine Arts, Ltd. includes the renowned Newport Gallery of American Art, and Newport Gallery of World Art. The gallery inventory of American art includes over 500 artworks including Colonial and Federal portraits, Hudson River School landscapes, seascapes and marines, still-lifes and works of the American Impressionists, Post-Impressionists and Realists. The gallery also handles Old Master works, 19th century European art and paintings of the French Impressionists. In November 2003, William and Alison Vareika were pleased to open The Newport Gallery of World Art. Precious art objects of beauty and virtue from all historic and contemporary periods and regions of the world, including post-World War II American art, can be found in the new gallery space. The prevailing theme is high quality, and the foremost goal is to educate, entertain, and inspire our visitors and patrons, who will find this new venture to be an interesting complement to our collections of historical American art. William Vareika Fine Arts is located in historic Newport, Rhode Island, on famous Bellevue Avenue, a few doors from the Newport Casino and the International Tennis Hall of Fame, and two blocks from the Newport Art Museum and the Redwood Library and Athenaeum. In February 2005, the neighborhood in which the gallery is located was declared an Arts District by the State of Rhode Island. Accordingly, sales of original artworks are exempt from Rhode Island Sales Tax. Prices range from around $250 to over $100,000. All major credit cards are accepted. William Vareika Fine Arts offers art appraisal services, framing and art conservation consultation, purchases art and also accepts artworks on consignment for sale. ABOUT WILLIAM VAREIKA Bill Vareika is an art gallery owner, specialist in 19th century American art, writer, lecturer, community activist, preservationist, and philanthropist. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from BC in 1974 with a degree in political science. One BC art history course and a work study job at the Boston Public Library altered Vareika’s public service career goal -- and his life. He abandoned law school plans to volunteer to direct a six-year legal battle to save a historic church in Newport, RI, which had been decorated by the important 19th century American artist John La Farge, whom he had discovered in his BC art history class. Later, because of economic circumstances, Vareika took a leave of absence from graduate studies in American Civilization at Brown University in order to begin a career as an art dealer, starting in very modest circumstances as a “picker” and later opening his Bellevue Avenue Newport gallery in 1987. For twenty years, Vareika has used his gallery to raise public awareness about a variety of charitable causes and to donate over one million dollars to support these non-profit organizations. His recent summer exhibition, “A Precious Muse: Art of the Narragansett Bay, Then and Now,” raised $200,000 for the environmental organization Save The Bay. In November2007 , Vareika will be honored as a “Partner in Philanthropy” by the Association of Fundraising Professionals. Vareika has also donated dozens of artworks to museums and other charitable organizations including the McMullen Museum of Art, Boston College, the Newport Art Museum, and the Addison Gallery at Phillips Academy, Andover. The William Vareika Fine Arts gallery has been recognized as “Best of RI” by Rhode Island Monthly Magazine and “one of the outstanding reasons to visit New England” by Yankee Magazine. Bill Vareika has served on the boards of the Newport Art Museum, the Redwood Library and Athenaeum, the Newport Music Festival, and Save The Bay. He also serves on a number of advisory committees, including the Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center, the New Bedford Whaling Museum, the McMullen Museum of Art at Boston College; the Trinity Boston Preservation Trust, the Hope Funds for Cancer Research, and the Aquidneck Land Trust. He is a former Vice-Chairman of the RI State Council on the Arts. Bill and Alison Vareika have three children, three dogs, and live in an 1877 National Historic Register home in Newport, which they have been restoring for fifteen years.