Gladwell & Company is one of the oldest established art dealers in London. Founded in 1752, they originally specialised in the commission of fine prints from the prominent artists of the period such as Reynolds, Romney and Fuseli. The business developed over the years, dealing with etchings and mezzotints as well as embracing fine oil paintings and water-colours.
The gallery was based in the City of London for 260 years. Steeped in history, its illustrious forebears ranked amongst the leading art historians of their time and included two Lord Mayors. The company generously donated to the collections of the National and National Portrait Galleries, bequeathing oil paintings by Reubens and Reynolds. Royal Warrants were held by Gladwell & Company to Queen Victoria as printsellers, Queen Alexandra as picture dealers, King George V as publishers and printsellers and to Queen Mary as fine art dealers.
The company prides itself on the quality of pictures and a personal service to clients. The business is run by the Fuller family, with three generations working in the business. Members of the family are often serve on the vetting committees for a number of international fairs, and undertake valuations for clients.
In 2004 Gladwell and Company purchased the old established and well-regarded W. H. Patterson gallery in Mayfair and in 2013 the gallery moved to a wonderful new location in 5, Beauchamp Place, Knightsbridge. From this location in London, they are able to offer a wider selection of paintings. They have also brought their stable of contemporary artists from W. H Patterson following removal of their gallery on Albemarle Street into Knightsbridge.
Gladwell and Patterson’s range of works spans the Victorian era, through the Impressionists and including many modern day masters.