Hancocks are long-established London jewellers who have been selling fine jewels to a discerning clientele since 1849.
Less than a year after his business had been established Mr C.F Hancock received a warrant of appointment from Queen Victoria. She and many of the principle sovereigns of Europe became regular patrons. In 1856 Hancocks was instructed to produce the Queen’s new medal, the Victoria Cross. This is an honour upheld by the firm today.
From the famous Great Exhibition of 1851 to Masterpiece London, Hancocks has been represented at many important fine art fairs across the globe. In 1867 Hancocks sent to Paris no fewer than 17 cases of stock where it remained for eight months. Here the firm triumphed, winning several medals of excellence. The Vienna exhibition of 1873 saw them receive the Emperor’s gold medal for science and art.
Hancocks’ stock today includes many pieces by famous designers who came to characterise entire eras including Boucheron, Bulgari, Cartier, Tiffany & Co. and Van Cleef & Arpels, to name just a few. The firm also carry out private commissions for both jewellery and silverware.
Hancocks’ first home was situated at the corner of Bruton and Bond Streets, and they subsequently moved to other locations in Mayfair. Today they are based in the Burlington Arcade off Piccadilly and run by Stephen and Janie Burton with the support of their family. They are regular exhibitors at many of the world’s foremost antiques fairs including Masterpiece London, TEFAF, Maastricht and The Palm Beach Jewellery, Art and Antique Show in the United States. They were also regular exhibitors at the Grosvenor House Art & Antiques Fair until its final staging in 2009.