MP Levene is a family business selling antique and modern British silverware, that has spanned four generations. Their premises is located opposite London’s famous Victoria and Albert Museum, in an area noted for its distinctive specialist shops.
The foundations of the business run back to end of the nineteenth century. In 1889 Pierre Levene, assisted by his wife, Cissie, opened a shop in nearby Fulham Road, selling watches, jewellery, silverware and general objets d’art.
Unfortunately the shop was destroyed by enemy action in the early days of the Second World War. Meanwhile their son, Maurice Pierre Levene, who was born in 1900, had opened his own shop, M P Levene Ltd, at 5 Thurloe Place in 1926. He specialised in silverware and rare postage stamps.
Maurice’s son, Colin, joined the business in 1953 and is now Managing Director. In 1973 he acquired the next-door premises, 4 Thurloe Place, and amalgamated the two areas into the shop they have today. In 1997, his son Martin joined the business, becoming the fourth generation Levene in the family firm.
Amongst the antique silver on display are silver cutlery services, and English and Irish antique silverware. Pieces from the Georgian and Victorian eras can be found alongside English silver from the twentieth century. Boxes of silver flatware sit alongside pairs of silver candlesticks, silver tea and coffee sets and a wide selection of silver cufflinks. The firm also specialises in finding important pieces of antique English silverware for collectors from around the world.