Founded in 1869, S J Phillips Ltd is one of the oldest family-owned antique shops in the world. It is run by Nicolas, Jonathan and Francis Norton, great grandsons of S J Phillips. The company specialises in European silver, antique and estate jewellery and gold snuff boxes. The shop is situated in New Bond Street, at the centre of London’s international art market.
To enter the company’s premises is to enter a veritable treasure trove of some of the finest examples of the jeweller’s and silversmith’s art. Whether in search of an 18th-century Augsburg silver-gilt beaker or a 19th-century diamond necklace there is something for every taste. S J Phillips’ range of antique jewellery is among the largest available anywhere in the world.
The company has its own jewellery workshop, which specialises in repairs, and a resident pearl stringer and jewellery cleaner. It also has a silver workshop that manufactures modern silver and can carry out repairs.
S J Phillips participate in The European Fine Art Fair in Maastricht, and Masterpiece London. Nicolas Norton is a former president and treasurer of The British Antique Dealers’ Association, recipient of its distinguished service medal and member of its Council. The three family members of the company have served on the vetting committees of the former Grosvenor House Antiques Fair and more recently of Masterpiece London.